Monday, August 6, 2012

New Ingredients

We picked up our CSA share which is all yummy stuff but then we had to hit the health food store for a few new ingredients.



Surprisingly I am very fond of a rice/potato/soy spaghetti I found.  It was not sticky or chewy and the girls nor Steve really noticed a difference.


The only, small, complaint I have is that I no longer make just one big fruit shake for the family.  I make Steve's then the girls and I, per usual, drink where ever the left over is.

The girls typically get just fruit and milk or juice.  Steve's is now seeds, nuts, fruits, water and coconut butter to make it creamy.  I have to say it is really delicious. 

I think I've nailed the fruit shakes.  I have found a satisfactory pasta substitute and we are really digging the white quinoa as a substitute for rice.  It took a time or two to cook it just right.  We add chicken stock but it doesn't soak in the flavor it kind of sits on it so the product tasted really salted.  We just need to watch that.  The best part is the girls are not noticing any changes.
Once again the biggest challenge is the cost.  The second is learning not only how to cook but how to cook with unfamiliar ingredients. 

We'll get there, slowly but surely!

No comments:

Post a Comment