Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut squash is part of the winter squash family with the tough inedible skins.  I find this annoying to cook.  I like ease.  I like trouble free.   I try not to use the microwave so the best way I've found to cook these is to, clumsily, cut the gourd in half length wise, scoop out the seeds and roast on about 300 for a couple hours; until the meat is soft.

I'm always glad when I go through the trouble because not only are they delicious but they are high in vitamins A and C, iron and riboflavin (B2).

Interestingly we think of them as a vegetable but from a botanical point of view they are a fruit because they contain their own seeds.

Anyway after I cooked the squash and scooped out all the flesh, I added about 5 cups of low sodium chicken broth, some curry seasoning, cracked black pepper and blended it up nice and smooth.  I then added frozen corn.  The heat from the soup thawed the corn which added extra liquid instead of increasing the amount of chicken broth I used.



I love love love this soup.  I ate it with pretzels because it was the only gluten-free crunch I had.  Steve enjoyed it but wouldn't satisfy him as a meal so in the future this will be a side, appetizer or a snack.

If anyone has an easier way to cook these tough beasts let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment